Kings of Ash is the second book in the Ash and Sand trilogy and was published in January of 2019.
What I Liked:
- Ruka. He’s one of my all time favorite characters, not only in fantasy but overall. He has some great quotes in this book that make me a bigger fan.
- In my Kings of Paradise review I mentioned that there were some parts of the story that felt as though they were missing. Without any spoilers I can say those holes were filled and filled in a great way.
- The story takes chances, nobody is safe and motivations are clearer.
- The side characters in Kings of Paradise get more attention and fleshed out
- There are a ton of “Ohhhhh” moments and reveals that made this installment exciting
- Richard Nell takes chances with this story, goes places I didn’t expect and if you didn’t believe him after reading Kings of Paradise, you know now that nobody is safe and anything can happen.
- The climax is equal parts exciting, surprising and poignant. It does not disappoint.
What I Didn’t Like:
- As much as I’m Team Ruka, I wouldn’t have minded more Kale.
- This book has ruined other books for me.
Final Thoughts and Rating:
This may be my favorite all time read, and this trilogy is already in contention to be my favorite trilogy. This story is bold, takes chances and dares to go places I never expected.
5 redemption’s out of 5